Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reflection on Lesson Plan

I personally did not like my lesson and how it turned out.  I have to admit my preparation was lacking and I made a number of last minute changes the very night before.  My lesson plan was designed to keep my kids busy with work so behavior issues wouldn't occur.  It worked but I got so bored with my own lesson.  It was TOO QUIET!  By the end of the class I admit I gave up because I felt my lesson plan wasn't working and cut the end of it short.  My assessment was lacking because I didn't clearly pronounce instructions and felt rushed the entire time. If given another chance I would have loved to use the stations idea to its potential, adding more learning varieties that would involve kinesthetic learners and visual learners.  Adding a map or some visuals to my lecture would have been beneficial as well.  Also I believe my readings were too lengthy which turned off too many students.  When creating a lesson plan I have to find the appropriate difficulty for my students as well as the right technique to get them going.  I honestly don't like a quiet classroom, I enjoy discussion and group work where students work collaboratively to attain a goal; most cases to find answers or research information.  My lesson plan had a potential chance but my execution didn't cut it.  Good thing is you learn more from failure than success so I know what to improve on for next time.

6 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    Thank you for reflecting on your lesson.

    You said, " I honestly don't like a quiet classroom, I enjoy discussion and group work where students work collaboratively to attain a goal; most cases to find answers or research information"

    How would you modify this lesson next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really enjoyed your lesson! My history classes in high school were never engaging, they were always straight lectures for 40 minutes. Today, I have an extreme distaste for the subject and it's a shame. If my teachers had lessons like yours, I think I would have appreciated history a lot more. The stations were really great but I think you're right that they should have been a little more varied. I still remember some of the facts from that lesson though and for me to remember historical facts is a big success in my opinion!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kev,

    Unfortunately I was not in attendance for your lesson, but you did tell me about it. Making minor last minute changes overnight could be a good thing to improve the lesson, but changing or creating a whole new lesson the night before is risky! The night before my lesson I considered starting from scratch, putting the original to the side in fear that it might be too boring. Halfway through I realized that I should just stick to the original plan. The best thing to do is probably to have a Plan A, B, and C to ALWAYS keep the students busy in emergency cases such as yours.

    Dr. Luongo had this in one of her PowerPoints: "By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail." That quote kind of scared me into being prepared lol. You definitely have the personality to be a great educator, and I'm sure next time you'll be pleased with your lesson and its execution after this practice round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you had a great lesson. It was fun and not many were out of line because you had us moving the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kevin, I loved the "do now" of your lesson I thought it was a great start. Making last minute changing something will affect your preparation, but I think you learned from your mistake and next time you will be on point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kev,
    Your lesson was good man. Sometimes being too quiet means you're doing something right. You're lucky I didn't bring my gun that day though

    ReplyDelete